She and her family who have been "allied with Charles and David Koch for years"7 are major donors to the Republican party and other rightwing organizations. A strong advocate of school vouchers, DeVos "is a religious conservative who has pushed for years to breach the wall between church and state on education, among other issues."7
Brown Center on Education Policy at Brookings will host a public forum examining the history and future of federal education policy. This event, marking the culmination of the Memos to the President on the Future of Education Policy series, will convene leaders and scholars with a variety of perspectives to discuss the federal government’s involvement with public schools.
After the session, panelists will take audience questions.
2. "Betsy DeVos and God's Plan for Schools," Katherine Stewart, New York Times, Dec. 13, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/opinion/betsy-devos-and-gods-plan-for-schools.html
3. "What's the worst that could happen with Betsy DeVos as education secretary? Two scenarios," Valerie Strauss, Washington Post, November 27. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/11/27/whats-the-worst-that-could-happen-with-betsy-devos-as-education-secretary-two-scenarios/
4. "Trump's Billionaire Education Secretary Has Been Trying to Gut Public Schools for Years," Kristina Rizga, Mother Johes, Nov. 29, 2016. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/education-secretary-betsy-devos-vouchers-michigan-trump
5. "NEA President reacts to Betsy DeVos nomination for Education Secretary", Nov 23, 2016. NEA President Lily Eskelsen García, NEA.org,
6. "What Trump's Cabinet picks tell us," Randi Weingartenm, President, American Federation of Teachers, 12/18/2016.
7. "Betsy DeVos, Trump's Big-Donor Education Secretary," Jane Mayer, November 23, 2016, New Yorker.