UPCOMING GUN SAFETY EVENTS IN DC
Click here to RSVP to events below
December 14th is the fifth Anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators.  Since then, 500,000 Americans have died or been injured by guns.  The last few months alone saw the tragedies of Sutherland Springs and Las Vegas, two of the worst mass shootings in recent U.S. history. 
Here in DC, join other moms, dads and other advocates for gun safety to speak out against gun violence by attending any of the events listed below!
Congressional Hearing on Gun Safety: Wednesday, December 6th, 2017, 10 AM, Dirksen Senate Building, Room 226 (First Ave NE, Washington DC 20002)
In the wake of the Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs shootings, the Senate Judiciary Committee is holding a hearing on gun policy, including fixing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and regulating bump stocks (an accessory that enables guns to fire like machine guns). Help pack the room to show Congress that gun safety remains a priority for moms and families.
2 5th Annual National Vigil for All Victims of Gun Violence, Saint Marks Episcopal Church, Wednesday, December 6th, 2017, 7 PM - 9 PM EST (301 A Street SE Washington, DC 20003)
On the occasion of the 5th anniversary of the tragic Sandy Hook shootings, please join MomsRising and the Newtown Foundation, the charitable arm of the Newtown Action Alliance, for this national vigil service of mourning and loving remembrance for all who have fallen victim to the ongoing epidemic of gun violence in America.
Senator Richard Blumenthal, Senator Chris Murphy and Representative Elizabeth Esty of Connecticut; Chris Hurst, former TV anchor whose girlfriend Alison Parker was killed on live television in 2015; and musician Natalie Merchant are just a few of the special guests who will gather with families and survivors of gun violence and gun safety advocates for this powerful and moving event.
3 Protest in front of NRA headquarters on the occasion of the 5th anniversary of the Sandy Hook shootings, Thursday, December 14, 2017, 10AM EST (11250 Waples Mill Rd., Fairfax, VA 22030)
Since the Sandy Hook Shootings, the GVP community has held a protest and vigil in front of NRA headquarters on the 14th of every month to let them know WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN. On the 5th anniversary of the Sandy Hook shootings, join friends and neighbors in the area, and other gun safety advocates from near and far, in front of NRA Headquarters to make sure the gun lobby hasn't forgotten either.
→Phone numbers of NOVA Reps
→Info & script [the65.org]
Sign up for DAILY MESSAGES. Actions, scripts, info on multiple issues.
Advice, scripts, daily messages, info on multiple issues.
Tips & Strategies for making calls to your reps
1. Call a state or district office first.
2. Leave a voicemail. If voicemail is full, press "0." This will typically connect you to a receptionist who may be able to take your message or transfer you to a voicemail that isn't full.
3. Call the national office, if you can't get through. Or to see if you can get a real person.
4. Be prepared to give your name and your location. You can refer to yourself as a constituent, as per the script, and they might not ask.
5. Note that the operator is likely using some kind of form to mark your call, the goal is to generate a high volume of calls that require the operator to check off individual boxes. That means it's critical to name your issues specifically and not just say something like "oppose Trump."